It’s not every day that you get the opportunity to pair with a renowned food blogger, celebrity chef and cookbook author to plan a meal. Well, for you maybe, but for someone as handsome and good at life as I am, I can do this every day. That’s because my wife is friends with Gaby Dalkin of What’s Gaby Cooking. You can check out her amazing food blog or pre-order her amazing cookbook, or you can get to know her through this.
Her husband is a sports fanatic and bourbon loving ad man like I am, but today I am partnering up with his better half on a little idea we had.
We wanted to make a dinner for you to cook that would be inspired by America’s worst shit show: The Bachelor. For Gaby, this was probably easy. I will link you to her carb-heavy, slut and glut comfort food recipe at the end of this post. Going in, I knew her plan was to go carb heavy, possibly sausage heavy (we’re not being subtle) and basically create a culinary guilty pleasure to liken to The Bachelor. I’ll let her wax poetic about the symbolism, just know we had fun discussing it. She’s worth reading every time she posts. She’s one of us.
I decided to bring my better-than-you’d expect mixology to the table and create a drink to pair with her meal. Not totally sure how well the actual pairing will go, but individually I know these stand up. I crafted a new beverage called The Rose Ceremony and it is a riff on the St. Germain Cocktail which I have enjoyed at many a poolside in Los Angeles on a hot summer day. Sure, it’s raining here in Portland, but it’s sunny on the Bachelor so that’s what counts.
To craft the Rose Ceremony and keep it true to its namesake event, I had a few guidelines:
- Have it taste good
- Make it sour enough to remind us of the ugly criers that get sent home roseless
- Use roses in the drink
- Use Chardonnay in the drink (not that easy)
- Use at least three kinds of alcohol so that you know what the girls feel like at 4am when they are eliminated
- Impress you that I can craft cocktails like a demon and make you even more attracted to me
To start, here’s what you will need:
- A glass that makes you feel like an asshole when you hold it
- The juice of 1 lemon (around 2 oz please)
- 1 oz of Tito’s Vodka (it’s from Texas like Sean)
- 2 oz of unoaked chardonnay (Sauvignon Blanc or Champagne would work better but that isn’t the deal. Please don’t use the oaky shit I make fun of)
- 1.5 oz St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- 1 tbsp Rose Water
- Club Soda to taste
- A big ass ice cube if possible (to represent the Neil Lane ring the winner gets to keep for 3 weeks until they call it off)
In a glass, combine the lemon juice, vodka, chardonnay, St. Germain and rose water. Stir. Add the ice cube and pour club soda to fill your glass. Add a little lemon peel if you feel fancy. I did.
Now, drink. You’ve just made The Rose Ceremony, the first cocktail from Lost Angeles and the only you will find with Chardonnay in it because, well, it sucks.
Next, CLICK HERE to see Gaby’s recipe. Take pictures of you enjoying our offerings and they will get posted for the BachCaps. We think Monday night is a great time to try it. Will you accept that rose?
If you do, use the hashtag #GZbachmeal on instagram to show us what you got!
I’M ON INSTAGRAM @LOSTANGELESBLOG – FIND ME AND TAG ME IN YOUR ROSE PHOTOS